Our daughter, Freya, was born in June 2019 and she has a condition called Achondroplasia, which is a form of dwarfism.
Very little is known about the condition (the chances are about 1 in 25,000 of having a baby who will have the condition) and most people think it is just a case of having shorter arms and legs. But there are so many more health complications that can be attached to the condition. When Freya was 2 weeks and then 5 weeks old she stopped breathing, resulting in lenghty hospital stays and multiple tests. But we are now home and she is doing really well. She will always have to have routine check ups throughout her life.
I am running the following events in order to raise money and awareness. If anyone would like to come and join me or support me on any of them then please feel free.
- 6th October 2019 - Bournemouth Marathon
- 10th November 2019 - New Forest Half Marathon
- 22nd December 2019 - Portsmouth Marathon
- 26th January 2020 - Farnborough Half Marathon
- 1st March 2020 - Vitality Big Half Marathon (London)
- 19th April 2020 - Brighton Marathon
- 16th May 2020 - Jurassic Coast Ultra Marathon
If you would like to support, please visit JustGiving.
Check out Gareth's fantastic interview on BBC Radio 5 Live where he talks about having a child with Achondroplasia and Little People UK.