We have received a number of enquiries to LPUK from students around the country, interested in designing products for people with dwarfism.
Please see these below and feel free to respond where possible.
I am a 15 year old GCSE Product Design student, as part of my project I am designing something to help people complete tasks around the house with dwarfism, especially achondroplasia. I am interested in designing something for people with dwarfism because I do not believe there are many products on the market that meet their needs. In order to generate suitable concepts, I need to carry out research on my clientele. I have a few questions that would greatly help me complete my research and design something that would help people with dwarfism.
The questions I would like answered are:
- What would you find useful in completing everyday tasks?
- What daily tasks do you find most difficult?
- What products do you already use and how useful are they?
- How long do the products that you use last?
- What are the main parts of the condition that affect your daily life? (E.g. Spinal Lordosis or Trident fingers)
- Are there other aspects of the condition that I should consider?
- If things are at a particular height above you how do you reach them?
- How good would you describe your balance on a scale of 1 – 5? (where one is poor and 5 is excellent)
- How much would you be prepared to pay for a product that benefits your life?
- Do you do any tasks outside that would benefit from a new product?
I am writing to inform you that for my GCSE DT coursework I am designing and building a portable, collapsible and adjustable step, specifically aimed at those with dwarfism and it would really help me if I had a client or some first-hand information from someone who has dwarfism, and so if you can help me in anyway with my project I would be very grateful.
I am doing a project for my A-level which consists of creating clothes storage management for people with achondroplasia.
- I would like to ask you a few questions to further my research for this project.
- What are the flaws with the everyday storage management that you use or have used?
- Have you found or made any furniture that suits your needs, if yes could you send a picture or describe it?
- Is there anything that you would like your storage management system to have that it does not currently have?
As part of my DT project for GCSE I am designing and making a portable, light and easy to use set of steps for around the house for people with dwarfism. As part of my project I have to do a Q and A with my consumers and I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to answer my questionnaire or put me in touch with somebody who can assist me in this area.
- How much would you be prepared to pay for a set of steps for assisting wall units?
- Would you prefer a modern or traditional style set of steps?
- What in your opinion makes a good quality set of steps?
- What is more important to you style or functionality, or both?
- Do you prefer a monochrome product or a brightly coloured product?
- In your experience what materials would you like the steps to be made from?
- Would you like your product to last a long time or something you would want to replace and upgrade?
Hello, I'm am year 11 student studying GCSE design and technology. My project is to address the needs of somebody with a disability, i am currently designing a product which helps people with dwarfism in which i believe can greatly help them in their everyday challenges. I wrote to ask for any challenges that someone with dwarfism may face in their everyday life, how they can feel when doing certain activities and what kind of products they would want to assist them in their everyday life. My design idea so far is a simple fold out step which is light, durable, easy to carry and easy to pack away. The reason i chosen a step is because from my knowledge they can find it hard to reach high places (for example; when they are shopping), however i am open to any suggestions or product ideas that i could consider in my work.
Design product for people with dwarfism, please fill in this survey to help - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DGTNGBQ